Re: Making progress

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, R.V.Guha wrote:

> I'd like to reiterate Pat's point.
>
> If darkness is specified by the addition of something to the graph, then
> there is no way to avoid non-mon. We have been over this many times now.
> Could we please stop reopening this issue?
>
> Jan, same problem occurs with your proposal too. Let us suppose a file
> contains:
>
> <rdf:Descrpition rdf:about="eg:foo">
> 	  <eg:blah>wibble</eg:blah>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> Nothing is dark here. I then merge this with another file containing
>
> <rdf:Descrpition rdf:about="eg:foo">
> 	  <eg:blah rdf:dark="yes">wibble</eg:blah>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> I have essentially retracted statements from the first file without touching it.
>
> Darkness specification has to be *in the language*, not in a particular
> file using the language.

I'm sorry; I was under the impression that the light and dark universes
pretty much never collided (ie, that the result of that merge would be a
graph* with one light triple, and one dark triple, the components of
each being the same): that is, when drawing RDF, I'd need two different
coloured pens.

If a triple is _either_ light or dark, but not both, then sure, ok, I'll
shut up.

jan

* for appropriate structures corresponding to the word "graph"

Scrabble gematria: "BIBLE" = "DOGMA"