Re: doing provenance in RDF 1.0 clarified

At 11:04 AM 2/14/02 -0800, Sergey Melnik wrote:
>Brian McBride wrote:
> >
> > At 17:32 13/02/2002 -0500, Frank Manola wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > I disagree.  It works just fine, in either Statement or Stating
> > interpretation for my use of it in the P3P schema.
>
>If none of the entailments holds, no special semantics is associated
>with rdf:subject et al vocabulary. In other words, using rdf:subject
>instead of ex:foo would not convey additional information (in P3P schema
>or anywhere else)...

Strictly, in terms of the formal semantics, I think this is true.

But because the formal semantics is mostly (deliberately) non-committal
about interpretations of vocabulary, I think it is still possible for there
to be some value here documenting some interpretation of the reification
vocabulary that may reasonably be commonly held, even if it doesn't provide
any specific entailments at this time.  DanBri suggested an interesting
position that additional properties could be associated with the
reification quad rdf:Statement resource.  I can imagine that the common
reification vocabulary might be the "Rosetta Stone" for combining the
results of various experiments that will probably be conducted in this
area, as we try to find useful ways to reason about provenance, modalities
and related ideas.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>