Re: ACTION: 2001-11-16#7

At 09:04 14/02/2002 -0500, Frank Manola wrote:
>Brian McBride wrote:
>
>snip
>>   o. While this provides no way to express a negative (negated)
>>      boolean value, the addition of such an ability would extend
>>      RDF beyond its anticipated semantic basis, requiring
>>      unacceptably far-reaching changes.
>>   o. The WG resolves to close this issue on the grounds that the
>>      current facilities are adequate for all purposes that do not
>>      over-extend RDF.
>

>Brian--
>

>I have a mild amount of heartburn over the wording of these bullets; it's
>not clear what they means, other than we don't intend to do anything more
>about it.  Specifically:
>
>a.   what does "would extend RDF beyond its anticipated semantic basis,
>requiring unacceptably far-reaching changes" mean (or, even more
>specifically, what is RDF's "anticipated semantic basis")?  Could we be
>more specific?  (Could we cite the charter?)

I think it means RDF doesn't support negation.

>b.  "the current facilities are adequate for all purposes that do not
>over-extend RDF" sounds like bureaucratese for "the current facilities are
>adequate for all purposes that do not require other facilities".
>
>I'd like for us to be more plain and straightforward about such
>justifications if we can.
>
>Maybe I just need some more sleep (if I had some, or knew more about the
>subject, maybe I'd concoct an alternative)

Well I guess that ought to be rule, - there ain't no objections without a
counter proposal.

or alternately we could try a different tack and apply what I think of as
"Connoly's Law"; if in trouble finding words, switch to test cases.

The WG resolves that:

Boolean valued properties can, in part, be expressed using rdf:type, for
example:

   <http://example/George> <rdf:type> <http://example/ChocolateLover> .
   <http://example/Thomas> <rdf:type> <http://example/ChocolateHater> .

The WG notes that RDF(S) defines no built in mechanism for expressing that
ChocolateLover and ChocolateHater are disjoint classes.  The WEBONT WG
are defining mechanisms for such expressions.