Re: Datatypes Convergence

On 2002-02-06 19:49, "ext Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> I'm really glad to see the progress made on datatypes this week.  I think
> we may have got to the point where can have a single proposal with some
> unresolved issues.  This would be magnificent progress from having two
> proposals.
>
> I therefore suggest that Sergey and PatrickS take an action jointly to
> prepare a converged datatyping proposal document and circulate it to the WG
> by Wed, 13th Feb 2002.  That document should be based on:
>
>  - using rdf:dType for datatyping
>  - that S-P/TDL is used for global typing

You mean the modified bNode variant of the local idiom,
In combination with the S-P/TDL local idiom, right?

>  - using Graham's doublet suggestion, as adopted by Pat to fix
>    the model theory
>  - using the simpler of the two approaches suggested by Pat for the
>    model theory
>  - that <foo> <bar> "10" is untyped, as in current m&s, but a
>    syntactic transform can be used to turn it into a typed structure
>    with a b-node

I think we can note the potential use of the semantic transform,
but for the sake of backwards compatability and fairness, we
should leave it unspecified whether such a transform is to be
applied for legacy content -- with the understanding that only
use of the bNodes idioms will be recognized as datatyped and
all 'inline' idioms (P, TDL global) will be treated as untyped.

This allows parsers to remain unchanged, insofar as datatyping
is concerned, and folks to choose to use datatyping or not.

If legacy content using the inline idiom should be typed, then
it should be explicitly converted by the user, rather than
automatically by a parser.

This seems fairer to me. Eh?

> They key thing about this document is lock in the progress we have made, so
> if there are outstanding issues that are still unresolved, note them in the
> document and bring them back to the WG for comment.
> Of course, I'd love it if there weren't any.  I wouldn't expect this
> document to necessarily cover the model theory at this stage.

I would be happy to take a stab at rewriting the TDL spec, sans MT,
renaming it just the "Datatyping Proposal", and extending the verbage
taking into account the convergence characteristics and updating
the illustrations for the revised global idiom -- and then pass that
on to Sergey, Pat, Jeremy, whomever for edits, fixes, and addition
of the MT.

I'm travelling for the remainder of the week, but could have that
done for sure by start of business Monday, EST.

How does that sound?