RE: Justification for new node type

Good argument.

Another that I will offer myself ;-) is that, if the
abstract syntax can see the structure of the datatyped
literal node label, then a closure rule can be written
to relate the local idiom with rdf:type semantics as
well as with a global idiom.

C.f. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Aug/0114.html

If the node is an opaque URIref node, then the datatype which
constitutes the rdf:type of the node is not accessible.