Re: Justification for new node type

At 07:05 PM 8/9/02 +0300, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:
>I would like the proponents of the recent proposal for
>a new datatyped literal node type to justify why URIs
>cannot be used.

I believe there is a strong technical reason why URIs don't work
here.  According to the model theory
(http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#sinterp), URIs can denote anything according
to the interpretation that is used.  There is no provision for treating
different classes of URIrefs differently in this respect.

Conversely (and as Jan pointed out long time ago -
http://ioctl.org/rdf/literals) a literal is a fixed value, not subject to
reinterpretation according to the "possible world" being described.

(It might be possible to redraw the model theory to use URIs in the way you
suggest, but I think that would be a far greater disruption than what is
being proposed.)

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>