Re: The place of rdfs:Literal's in the world...

>On 2002-04-29 11:05, "ext jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com"
><jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com> wrote:
>

>>  (the things are called 'resources', but no assumptions are made about
>>  the nature of resources.)
>
>Are all 'resources' in the MT members of rdf:Resource?

Yes. That is, rdf:Resource denotes the universe IR in any interpretation.

>If so, then literals are members of rdf:Resource, right,

NOt necessarily, as the MT is currently set up. (We could do it
differently so that all interpretations were required to contain all
strings, but there doesnt seem to be any need for that.)

>  in
>which case, rdfs:Literal should be rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:Resource,
>right?
>
>If all 'resources' in the MT are not necessarily members of
>rdf:Resource, then some further clarification is needed.
>
>>  For example, a triple of the form
>>
>>  <ex:a> <rdf:type> <rdfs:Literal> .
>>
>>  is legal even though 'ex:a' is a uriref rather than a literal.
>>  What it says is that I(ex:a) is a literal, ie that the uriref
>>  'ex:a' denotes a literal.
>
>This seems to conflict with what the Schema spec says, which
>is that a member of rdfs:Literal is self-denoting.

Does it say a member of rdfs:Literal, or a literal?

>A uriref
>is not self-denoting and therefore cannot be a member of
>rdfs:Literal.

A uriref isn't, sure. But (1) a uriref isnt the same thing as a
resource, and (2) the issue is whether the resource referred to is in
that class. RDF doesnt have any way of talking about urirefs: it uses
urirefs to talk about resources.

>Do we have a conflict here between the graph syntax and
>the general semantics of RDF Classes?

I don't think so.

>Perhaps rdfs:Literal is not an rdfs:Class?

Well, Im assuming it is a class, so it can't be the set of literals.
That is my point. If y'all want it to actually be the set of
literals, then we would need to re-think this whole issue.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes