Re: Latest iteration of RDF Datatyping WD

At 03:49 PM 4/11/02 +0200, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

>Patrick is "fully versed in XML 1.0".
>

>One minor point, you use local entity defs to simulate qnames in attr
>values.
>
>This is quite cute, but does go against this para in M&S:
>
>[[[
>Note: Schema developers may be tempted to declare the values of certain
>properties to use a syntax corresponding to the XML Namespace qualified name
>abbreviation. We advise against using these qualified names inside property
>values as this may cause incompatibilities with future XML datatyping
>mechanisms. Furthermore, those fully versed in XML 1.0 features may
>recognize that a similar abbreviation mechanism exists in user-defined
>entities. We also advise against relying on the use of entities as there is
>a proposal to define a future subset of XML that does not include
>user-defined entities.
>]]]
>

>I am happy to drop the intent of this paragraph - that seems to be a
>corollary of Patrick being "fully versed in XML 1.0" :).

But from your description, what Patrick is doing doesn't correspond to that
part of the M&S recommendation cited.  I certainly found that, when doing
CC/PP, using local entity defs was very useful if not particularly elegant.

I also think that well-chosen entity definitions make the document _way_
more readable.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>