Re: RDF graph model limited by RDF/xml 1.0 syntax?

[erroneously caught in spam trap -- trying to diagnose -rrs]

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:54:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Pat's MT has not been limited (much) by RDF.xml syntax.

He has left open the question of whether Literals are Resources.

While he does not have bNodes as properties, what he has done could be
cleanly embedded within such a treatment.

Hence, I feel that the MT has been both fair with the past and fair with the
future. Fair with past by taking a clean reading of M&S while not going
further than necessary to do that. Fair with the future in leaving open
those steps that strike us as attractive, without forcing them on future
WGs.

Personally, I would favour making changes to the XML syntax to allow all of
Pat's models to be expressed.

I could propose representing bNodes in rdf:about and rdf:resource as
"_:name".  This is not a URI, since '_' is not a legal scheme name, hence is
technically an extension of the syntax. (whether a uri-reference appears
allow a uri-reference or a bNode-reference ). I believe in practice it would
be found to be backwardly compatible. (Only pedants check uri-refs against
RFC2396). I haven't a clue how to address the property not ending in an
XMLName character problem.

Jeremy