Re: subject: ACTION 2001-09-21#5 subPropertyOf cycles

At 11:40 AM 9/25/01 -0400, Frank Manola wrote:
>Here's the motion:  To resolve issue [?do we have an explicit issue?] by
>deleting the restriction prohibiting cycles of subPropertyOf
>properties.  The meaning of a cycle of subPropertyOf properties is an
>assertion that the properties involved in the cycle have the same
>members.  A more formal specification of the meaning is given in the
>model theory.  [This has the same form as the explanation in the
>"subClassOf" motion, but is less intuitive for properties.  I could
>wordsmith this a bit, but it's probably safer to point to the model
>theory].

I'm happy with the general intent.

Some nit-picking:

"...the properties involved in the cycle have the same members"
Should this be:
"... the [relational] extensions of properties involved in the cycle have
the same members"
?

"A more formal specification of the meaning is given in the model theory"
I don't recall this point being explicitly addressed by the MT;  would it
be more accurate to say "... given by the model theory"?

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>