Re: model theory publication draft

At 12:15 PM 9/19/01 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>If anyone wants to focus, I'd suggest looking at the stuff on RDF
>entailment. Here's a question that occurred to me, for example. Suppose we
>know that
>aaa rdf:type bbb .
>and also
>bbb rdfs:subClassOf ccc .
>Now, it follows that aaa is in fact a member of the class ccc; but do we
>want to say that this means that
>aaa rdf:type ccc
>
>must be true? If we do, that table of RDF entailment rules would need some
>more entries. Right now it reflects the view that being in a class doesn't
>necessarily mean having that class as a type, only having some subclass of
>it as a type.

Hmmm...

 From above:
1.   <I(aaa),I(bbb)> in IEXT(I(rdf:type))
2.   <I(bbb),I(ccc)> in IEXT(I(rdfs:subClassOf))

 From 1. and 5th rule of RDFS interpretation:
3.   I(aaa)          in ICEXT(I(bbb))

 From 2. and 6th rule of RDFS interpretation:
4.   ICEXT(I(bbb)) subset ICEXT(I(ccc))

Then by 3 and 4:
5.   I(aaa)          in ICEXT(I(ccc))

Which is the condition for
   aaa rdf:type ccc

QED?

If I'm right, these means no change is needed unless aaa is NOT of rdf:type
ccc.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>