Re: ACTION 2001-08-24#9 : issues with containers

At 12:12 PM 8/30/01 -0700, pat hayes wrote:
>I understand that, but that still leaves open the issue that I was
>raising, which is: given that it doesn't have the properties contiguous,
>what does that entail? Are the 'missing' elements really there (but not
>mentioned), or are they genuinely not there? So in my example, if
>xxx rdf:_1 aaa
>xxx rdf:_3 ccc
>does xxx have two, or at least three, members?

Can the formalism be agnostic about this?  i.e. that the member
corresponding to rdf:_2 may or may not exist, and if it does exist its
value is not stated by the above.  In the absence of an rdf:lastThing or
equivalent, the same being true for any value of rdf:_n not explicitly stated.

                                 <http://www.baltimore.com>