Re: ACTION 2001-08-24#9 : issues with containers

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Again, suppose the graph had a Bag rather than an Alt:
>
>       <doc1> <dc:creator> _:a .
>       _:a <rdf:type> <rdf:Bag> .
>       _:a <rdf:_1> <jan> .
>       _:a <rdf:_2> <dan> .

I don't consider the two to be interchangable. Why? Compare

	http://ioctl.org/rdf/ms/rdfms#108
"The students in course 6.001 are Amy, Tim, John, Mary, and Sue."
It seems here that the collection itself is truly considered the value
of a property, whereas...

	http://ioctl.org/rdf/ms/rdfms#111  (and #112)
"Here, any one of the items listed in the container value for
DistributionSite is an acceptable value without regard to the other
items."

In other words, the Alt-collection itself isn't really being considered
the value of the property; the members of the Alt are being considered
so instead.*

> We don't license the inference that
> 	<doc1> <dc:creator> <jan>.
> in that case, do we? No. Then why should rdf:Alt have any magic
> associated with it?

Because clearly they don't behave in the same way, so the analogy isn't
sound.

I'd rather see Alt go away - the examples in M+S are vague and subject
to this kind of confusion.

jan

* although there are two kinds of alternative notion: the one in this
example is "this is true for ever member of the Alt, just pick one" (so
why isn't it just a bag?) as opposed to "this is true for at least one
member of the alt" - which is where you need some MT support (I think).

HP-unix: Open Sauce product, available in 57 distributions.