Re: Properties not predicates (was Re: PRIMER: draft data model section)

>I understood the point Brian was making (that what we call the
>middle component of the triple is one thing, and the kind of thing
>it *is* is something else;  that's why I referred to "overloading"
>in my earlier message on this subject), but it's not clear we've yet
>arrived at a satisfactory resolution.  The point is, if "predicate"
>is a misleading term to use in referring to the thing, ought we to
>continue to use it?

I take it that we are kind of stuck with it for the grammatical
category as it is built into RDF syntax as rdf:Predicate. I think
that as long as we use it along with 'subject' and 'object' only as a
kind of syntax-technical term for the middle part of a triple, and
take care not to say that the things in the domain - the things
denoted - *are* predicates, this will be fine. After all, we can say
that John is the subject of the sentence 'John loves Mary', but it
would seem odd to categorize him as being a subject rather than a
human being on that basis.

Pat

>Brian McBride wrote:

>>>Yes, I just remembered this myself, and agree that would be a
>>>different matter altogether. I think I now follow Brian's earlier
>>>message. The idea would be that subject/predicate/object are
>>>grammatical categories for the parts of a triple, but the actual
>>>thing indicated by the predicate - the thingie in the middle - is
>>>called a property, right?
>>

>>That is my interpretation of current usage.  So in an api, I have:
>>
>>   stmt.getSubject()
>>   stmt.getPredicate()
>>   stmt.getObject()
>>
>>to deconstruct a statement.
>>
>>   stmt.getResource
>>
>>does not make sense.
>>
>>Brian
>>

>--
>Frank Manola                   The MITRE Corporation
>202 Burlington Road, MS A345   Bedford, MA 01730-1420
>mailto:fmanola@mitre.org       voice: 781-271-8147   FAX: 781-271-875

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes