Re: 2001-09-07#5 Literals (use cases/test inputs, please?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Grant" <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>; "w3c-rdfcore-wg"
<w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>; "timbl" <timbl@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: 2001-09-07#5 Literals (use cases/test inputs, please?)

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > For example, I tried to do a visualization of the RDF schema
> > for RDF, using cwm, and I couldn't find a way to get it
> > to filter the french labels from the english labels... because
> > the xml:lang information isn't in triple form.
>
> Doesn't this just represent a deficiency in cwm?

Certainly, if you like, and indeed one I could fix by storing a language tag
(or absence of one)
along with every literal. No sweat.

But then, for Dan to be able to use it, he would need built-in functions:

rdf:languageCode a rdf:Property;
    rdfs:domain rdf:Literal;
    rdf:range rdf:String;
    rdfs:label "language code";
    rdfs:comment """Langauge tag of a litteral, indicating the natural
langauge used.
        An ISO langauge code, see ISO _____""".

rdf:stringBit a rdf:Property;
    rdfs:domain rdf:Literal;
    rdf:range rdf:String;
    rdfs:label "string without language code";
    rdfs:comment """The string value of a litteral, without any language
code.""".

to actaully extract the data, or do langauge-independant comparisons for
example.

Not to mention a function to build a complex Literal up from String and
language tag....

Tim