Re: big issue (2001-09-28#13) & changes in MT

At 05:11 PM 10/8/01 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>If I follow you here, the literal itself would be rather like a pair of a
>URI and a special kind of property whose value is the class of literal
>values that this URI might have.  But what determines the actual literal
>value? Eg suppose I write
>
>aaa foo <bbb, [http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes, integer]> .
>
>then the interpretation I(bbb) isn't itself an integer, right(? Or is it?
>If so, what ensures that it is?)
>IDT([http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes, integer]) is the set of
>integers, OK. But what is the thing that is the value of the property
>IEXT(I(foo)) on I(aaa)?

Just a wild half-baked thought, which maybe should be ignored...

Suppose I(bbb) is not an integer;  maybe then the interpretation of <bbb,
[http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes, integer]> is some concept like
"bottom" (this being the case whenever I(bbb) is not in IDT([x,y]) for any
literal <bbb, [x,y]>), and "bottom" being defined as something that can
never appear in a property extension pair.

The effect, I think, is that any graph with a literal "type violation" just
evaluates to false.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>