Re: Suggestion for next round of model theory document

At 10:13 AM 10/4/01 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>Now I am confused. I thought that the usage of 'URI' in the MT document
>was correct. Which of the following are URIs, can anyone give me some insight?
>
>http://www.coginst.uwf.edu

Yes

>http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/users/phayes/w3-rdf-mt-2.1_draft.html

Yes

>http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/users/phayes/w3-rdf-mt-2.1_draft.html#rdf_entail

No:  has fragment identifier

>http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type

No:  has fragment identifier

>rdf:type

No:  is QName (unless rdf: here is used as a URI scheme name).  This
particular Qname, assuming common usage of rdf: as a namespace prefix,
represents a URI with fragment identifier.  But in general a QName _may_
represent a URI.

>aaa

No: is relative-URI (possibly)

 From RFC 2396:

4. URI References

    The term "URI-reference" is used here to denote the common usage of a
    resource identifier.  A URI reference may be absolute or relative,
    and may have additional information attached in the form of a
    fragment identifier.  However, "the URI" that results from such a
    reference includes only the absolute URI after the fragment
    identifier (if any) is removed and after any relative URI is resolved
    to its absolute form.  Although it is possible to limit the
    discussion of URI syntax and semantics to that of the absolute
    result, most usage of URI is within general URI references, and it is
    impossible to obtain the URI from such a reference without also
    parsing the fragment and resolving the relative form.

       URI-reference = [ absoluteURI | relativeURI ] [ "#" fragment ]

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>