Re: datatypes and MT

At 03:06 AM 11/5/01 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> >  Are there
> > advantages to that which you have written over:
> >
> >         <rdf:Description rdf:about="#me">
> >           <shoeSize dt:decimal="10"/>
> >          </rdf:Description>
>
>er... is that RDF/xml syntax? can propElts take propAttrs?
>indeed... from the RDF validator, I see it works like...
>
>   _:x <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#decimal> "10".
>   <#me> <http://example/vocab#shoeSize> _:x.
>
>nifty.
>
>Yes, that's quite nice: regard dt:decimal as a relationship
>between its value space and its lexical space. I like it.

Nifty, maybe.  But I fear that growing dependency on these subtleties of
RDF/XML syntax may raise the barrier to entry to using RDF.  You, one of
the more experienced users of RDF, weren't sure about the validity of the
syntax used.

I think we need to nail down the handling of simpler cases before getting
too involved in arcane syntax options.  By simpler cases, I mean how are we
to interpret simple RDF like this:

   <rdf:Description rdf:about="#me">
     <ex:shoeSize>10</ex:shoeSize>
   </rdf:Description>

and

   <rdfs:Property rdf:about="http://example.org/shoesize">
     <rdfs:range rdf:resource="xsd:integer" />
   </rdfs:Property>

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>