Re: datatypes and MT

Graham Klyne wrote:

> At 03:06 AM 11/5/01 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > >  Are there
> > > advantages to that which you have written over:
> > >
> > >         <rdf:Description rdf:about="#me">
> > >           <shoeSize dt:decimal="10"/>
> > >          </rdf:Description>
> >
> >er... is that RDF/xml syntax? can propElts take propAttrs?
> >indeed... from the RDF validator, I see it works like...
> >
> >   _:x <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#decimal> "10".
> >   <#me> <http://example/vocab#shoeSize> _:x.
> >
> >nifty.
> >
> >Yes, that's quite nice: regard dt:decimal as a relationship
> >between its value space and its lexical space. I like it.
>
> Nifty, maybe.  But I fear that growing dependency on these subtleties of
> RDF/XML syntax may raise the barrier to entry to using RDF.

Regarding dt:decimal as a relationship between its value space
and its lexical space doesn't depend on this syntactic idiom.
It happens to exploit it, but it doesn't depend on it.

>  You, one of
> the more experienced users of RDF, weren't sure about the validity of the
> syntax used.

True, but datatyping in RDF is somewhat new. I think it's
quite convienient that RDF 1.0 happens to support
this relationship quite straightfowardly. As far as I know,
implementation of this syntactic idiom is pretty widely
and consistently deployed.

> I think we need to nail down the handling of simpler cases before getting
> too involved in arcane syntax options.  By simpler cases, I mean how are we
> to interpret simple RDF like this:
>
>    <rdf:Description rdf:about="#me">
>      <ex:shoeSize>10</ex:shoeSize>
>    </rdf:Description>

dirt simple:

	<...#me> <...#shoeSize> "10".

> and
>
>    <rdfs:Property rdf:about="http://example.org/shoesize">
>      <rdfs:range rdf:resource="xsd:integer" />
>    </rdfs:Property>

You've got an inconsistency there. "10" isn't an integer.