Re: A use case for anon nodes - action from telecon

>>>Do you mean URNs, not URLs?
>>
>>No, I meant URL's, which I take to mean a URI that locates
>>something. I'm not sure about URN's: I don't see any global
>>unique-name assumption (ie the assumption that everything has a
>>unique name, so different names must denote distinct things) in the
>>URN specs anywhere, but maybe I just havnt found it.
>
>I think that's one of the great unresolved issues of URIs in
>general.  I think either way is sustainable and results in the same
>models, but different folks seem to think differently.

Maybe. I think a global unique-name model is sustainable only in a
very fragile sense: if everyone cooperates and nobody ever makes a
mistake or gets confused, then it will work. But one error, anywhere,
could make the entire edifice crumble, since nobody could then rely
on the global assumption being valid.  In fact, I will undertake to
be the fly in the ointment, and will offer a universal
unique-name-wrecking service by generating copies of RDF webpages
with just the names changed.

Pat

(650)859 6569 w
(650)494 3973 h (until September)