Re: Action: #rdfms-identity-anon-resources questions

At 10:15 PM 7/23/01 -0700, pat hayes wrote:
>It isnt clear to me what the scope of anonymous node is intended to be,
>but it if it is the document containing the node, then indeed it should be
>impossible for any other source to say anything about the thing it refers
>to, so this is a genuine difference. However, the same is true of a
>non-anonymous URI if its use is restricted to this one source.

I've been thinking recently about encoding inference rules in RDF, where a
rule may have a variable that is scoped by the rule; e.g.

    Dog(?x) -> Animal(?x)

Originally, I was thinking that, when encoding this in RDF the variable
represented by ?x must somehow be scoped within the RDF.  But when I
started looking at candidate RDF encodings this need for scoping just melts
away:  the variable is represented by a new, unique resource:  that
resource has global scope (and, hence, if it has a URI it is one that is
not shared by any other resource).  The only place where the concept of
scope is needed is in the original expression.  Some other expression; e.g.

    Cat(?x) -> Animal(?x)

Has a different scope for its ?x, but the resource that represents the
variable in the encoding of this is a different resource than the one that
represents ?x in the previous example.

 From this exercise, I tentatively suggest that the scope of any resource
(node) is global -- the entire universe of discourse.

(I'm trying to be clear that this is an encoding of inference rules in RDF,
not an attempt to make inference rules part of RDF.)

                                 <http://www.baltimore.com>