Re: Discussion: #rdfms-identity-anon-resources

On Monday, July 9, 2001, at 05:04  PM, pat hayes wrote:

> The problem with this is that it then becomes impossible to
> provide a single coherent model theory. log:forSome is a good
> example, in fact. If that means what it apparently is supposed
> to mean, then any triple using it cannot be interpreted
> according to the terms used in the RDF M&S, since the latter
> claims that a triple indicates a relation holds between two
> things; but log:forSome is a quantifier, which is not a
> relation. The intended meaning breaks the earlier semantic
> model.

Well, log:forSome provides a relationship between a graph and a
resource mentioned in the graph. But this requires having a URI
for the graph, something which CWM does but is not specified in
the RDF spec.

> I would argue in the opposite direction. If we want to
> incorporate expressions which have special meanings, then
> provide syntactic markers for them, so that a semantics has
> some handles to attach itself to.

Well, we could always do:

<foo> rdf:type rdfs:AnonymousNode .

Would that be acceptable?

--
       "Aaron Swartz"      |              The Semantic Web
  <mailto:me@aaronsw.com>  |  <http://logicerror.com/semanticWeb-long>