Re: new issue from rdf-interest

At 03:48 PM 7/14/01 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:
>Jeremy Carroll in
>
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2001Jul/0041.html
>
>has raised some test cases we ought to clarify:
[... (Brian's full message below)]

I think we should be wary about going down the road of specifying an
interpretation for non-valid RDF syntax.

Thus, I think the main issue here is to decide whether or not they are
reasonably treated as valid RDF.

I have a concern about rdf:Description used as a property:  it's not clear
to me that the URI corresponding to rdf:Description should be interpreted
as a class, so it's appearance in

   <rdf:Description>
     <foo:bar>foobar</foo:bar>
   </rdf:Description>

would be a syntactic way of saying "there is a resource of unknown type...".

Consider:

   <rdf:Description about="http://example.org/res">
     <foo:bar>foobar</foo:bar>
   </rdf:Description>

and

   <rdfs:Resource about="http://example.org/res">
     <foo:bar>foobar</foo:bar>
   </rdfs:Resource>

When RDF schema is taken into account, I think these both say the same
thing, and in particular that the resource "http://example.org/res" has an
rdf:type of rdfs:Resource.  (I thought the "equivalence" of rdf:Description
and rdfs:Resource had been noted as an issue, but I don't see it.  See
also: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2001Jan/0009.html)

In the case of rdf:Bag, I don't know if we need to forbid anyone treating
it as a property, though it doesn't seem to be an immediately helpful idea.

At 03:48 PM 7/14/01 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:
>Jeremy Carroll in
>
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2001Jul/0041.html
>
>has raised some test cases we ought to clarify:
>
>   <rdf:Description rdf:Description="foo"/>
>
>   <rdf:Description>
>     <rdf:Description>foo</rdf:Description>
>   </rdf:Description>
>
>   <rdf:Description>
>     <rdf:Bag>foobar</rdf:Bag>
>   </rdf:Description>
>
>   <rdf:Description rdf:aboutEachPrefix="foo"/>
>     <foo:bar>foobar</foo:bar>
>   </rdf:Description>
>
>Also, he is questioning our resolution of:
>
>   <rdf:_1>
>     <foo:bar>foobar</foo:bar>
>   </rdf:_1>
>
>These are basically about what to do with names that are 'recognised'
>as being part of the RDF namespace but appear out of context.  I'll
>add this as a new issue to the list.  We probably ought to try to
>give it some attention as it has been raised on rdf-interest.
>
>Brian

                                 <http://www.baltimore.com>

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately.  The
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,
special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being
passed on.

computer viruses.