Re: Is N-Triples Normative? [Was: Re: model theory (W3C publication stuff)]

I entirely agree with Dan here. I just wanted to have an informative
(but stable) reference, not to imply any kind of endorsement or
normativity. I only use Ntriples as a way to describe graphs, since
its quicker to type than to draw a picture.

We could eliminate Ntriples from the MT document altogether and give
all the examples as explicit graph pictures, like the M&S does.  I'd
be willing to do this, if the WG feels it would make the document
more accessible. I guess I was assuming that we were going to
'publish' Ntriples in any case, even if it wasnt somehow endorsed as
a standard, but if that assumption is overly naive then the JPEG
alternative might be preferable.

I await guidance.

Pat

>Art Barstow wrote:
>[...]
> > In the Open Issues of [2]:
> >
> >  http://www.w3.org/2001/08/rdf-test/#intro_issues
> >
> > The issue "is N-Triples normative?" is raised.  Given the
> > MT's reference to N-Triples it seems the answer is yes.
> >
> > What do the WG members think about this issue?
>
>I don't really know how to answer questions of the
>form "is X normative"? Here are some questions
>I can answer that are perhaps relevant:
>
>	1. does our specification of n-triples
>	constrain the set of XML documents that
>	conform to the RDF 1.0 spec?
>
>	No.
>
>	2. does our specification of n-triples
>	constrain software that conforms
>	to the RDF 1.0 spec?
>
>	No.
>
>	3. does the RDF 1.0 spec say that RDF/xml
>	is the only syntax in which RDF may be expressed?
>
>	No.
>
>	4. does/should the model theory *depend* on
>	the definition of n-triples?
>
>	No; it's independent of any particular
>	serialization of RDF.
>
>	5. is it useful to use n-triples as
>	an editorial device in the model theory document?
>
>	Yes, I think so.
>
>	6. should the model theory draft cite the n-triples
>	definition from the testing draft?
>
>	Yes; given 4 above, I suppose this should
>	be an informative citation, if we're going
>	to distinguish informative from normative
>	citations at this point in the drafting process.
>

> >  [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/ntriples/
> >  [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/08/rdf-test/
>
>--
>Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/