Re: newbie Question about PKCS#7

I'm didn't say that XML Signature is necessarily a replacement for PKCS#7.
What I am saying is that XML Signature is "the new way of doing digital
signatures" and that if one is introducing digital signatures into a system,
one should
seriously consider using XML Signature over PKCS#7.

Certainly, if a system is heavily ASN.1-oriented and where the subset of
digital signature functionality available in PKCS#7 is deemed satisfactory
for the foreseeable future, and the implementors really want to use PKCS#7,
I will not object.  There may indeed be cases where PKCS#7 remains
preferable.  But, in general (eg. not always), I think XML Signature should
be initially assumed to be the best alternative until proven otherwise for
application-layer security.

Perhaps I am misreading your email, but are you stating you don't think XML
Signature can sign binary data without adding a "binary" transform?  If so,
I should point out that XML Signature today can sign binary data, and that
no "binary" transform is necessary.  Indeed, the great thing is that a
single XML Signature can cover mulitple binary objects (either referenced or
enveloped (and base64-ed)).

Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting any part of your email.

Regards, Ed