Re: newbie Question about PKCS#7

      I don't think that XML Signature is a replacement for PKCS#7/CMS.  It
is an alternative which permits the signing of XML rather than of binary
with a leaning towards ASN.1.  However, one possibly productive issue is
brought up by this thread.  Is it reasonable to have a standard transform
of "binary" available, analogous to the existing "base64" transform?  An
Reference containing an FTP URI can perfectly well point to a binary file
on the physical internet, which has not been encoded in base 64.

            Tom Gindin

"Ed Simon" <edsimon@xmlsec.com>@w3.org on 05/16/2002 08:23:36 AM

Sent by:    w3c-ietf-xmldsig-request@w3.org