Describing Objects (Was: DateTime (DT) attribute in Reference)

[As an aside ...]

At 10:21 7/5/2001, Gregor Karlinger wrote:
>As Armir has described his problem, he wants to use the DateTime to make a
>statement on the version of a data object, and I would not consider this as
>a property of the signature.

SignatureProperty is a "translation" of sorts of how one would describe a
resource in RDF [1]. (Similar grammar, different syntax). Because xmldsig
had a large amount of xml and character processing that's difficult to
model/represent in RDF concisely -- and people weren't keen on it at the
time -- xmldsig is not in rdf syntax. So we invented a SignatureProperty tag
that looks a lot like an <rdf:Description about="URI"> with a specific
semantic: data about the signature. In xmldsig such "semantics" are optional
and minimal, otherwise it's up to the application. Of course, at the
application level I'm seeing all manner of kludging together "assertions",
signature and signed object fields for describing things -- and it's pretty
ugly.

When you get into the description of resources and assertions (instead of
processing XML, charsets, encodings, node-sets, XPath, etc.) that's RDF's
strong point! The attachment is an RDF description of an object, using the
well known Dublin Core metadata vocabulary [2] plus a signature on that
object. (One could, of course, sign the statement itself including the
description via an enveloped transform.)

IMHO, the glue between xmldsig and the "semantic web" [3] needs work, but
that work is more comprehensible and scales better (though's there a larger
learning curve at the start) than innumerable different and incomplete ways
of describing and asserting things (which seems easier at the start because
one need only invent 4 tags for my app and write application logic to deal
with them -- but what happens when you want to use other
description/assertions in other syntaxes, or you want to extend your own?)

[1] http://rdfweb.org/2000/08/why/
[2] http://dublincore.org/
[3] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Semantic.html