Re: X509Data

Carl,

> Carl Wallace wrote:
>
> I've a few questions regarding the X509Data element.

[...]

> 2) There are some issues regarding the string representation of DNs as described in
> RFC2253.  Minimally, it permits the usage of '<' and '>'  in ways that won't work in
> XML.
>
> From XML spec:
>
> The ampersand character (&) and the left angle bracket (<) may appear in their literal
> form only when used as markup delimiters, or within a comment, a processing instruction,
> or a CDATA section.
>
> From RFC2253, amongst other references to '<' and '>':
>
> Implementations MUST allow a value to be surrounded by quote ('"'ASCII 34) characters,
> which are not part of the value.  Inside the quoted value, the following characters can
> occur without any escaping:
>
>                    ",", "=", "+", "<", ">", "#" and ";"

You have to use the escaping mechanism of XML here. Instead of the left angle bracket you
can use the corresponding character entity "&lt;". If the parser parses your DN containing
this entity string, it is replaced by the orginal left angle character again, e.g.

your DN: "Jim < Jack"
encoding of XML character data: "Jim &lt; Jack"
after parsing: "Jim < Jack"

Gregor

Gregor Karlinger
mailto://gregor.karlinger@iaik.at