From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. [mailto:reagle@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, June 05, 2000 3:22 PM
To: Barb Fox
Cc: tgindin@us.ibm.com; w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Manually Signed Digest as an XML signature type

At 02:39 PM 6/5/00 -0700, Barb Fox wrote:

Joseph and Tom:

Sorry, but I strongly believe that this manually signed digest signature
type is a huge mistake for this working group to even consider. The
focus of the working group and its charter from inception has been
digital signature in the cryptographic context. Adding this
"interpretation" of signature opens to door to all kinds of random
definitions and it seriously dilutes the work we've done so far.

--Barbara Fox

<<<<

Barb,

Rest assured, this work is out of scope. <smile> However, I'm trying to
use the question to push us to more cleanly define the meaning of
KeyInfo and SignatureProperties, which are rather fuzzy.

W3C Policy Analyst mailto:reagle@w3.org
IETF/W3C XML-Signature Co-Chair http://www.w3.org/People/Reagle/