Re: Thoughts on relation to WebDAV

Helge Hess wrote:
> I was wondering about that. I think the issue is that PROPFIND is only
> defined by the WebDAV RFC. Just having an Allow: PROPFIND doesn't
> necessarily imply that its the PROPFIND method with the payload as
> specified in WebDAV?

As I read RFC 2616, it indeed allows the use of methods not defined in
RFC 2616, and it proposes to announce this in an Allow-header in
response to OPTIONS. No need for the DAV-header, when you only want to
support PROPFIND.
Your concern it might not be the PROPFIND defined in RFC 4918. Now it's
may part to ask: does that really matter in practice? WebDAV is around
for some years. Do you expect there is another HTTP-PROPFIND-method?

But Julian's concerns seem to be WebDAV-clients written before somebody
came up with the idea of implementing only parts of WebDAV. They will
not use this. In my opinion you have to be patient, talk to client
implementers or write your own client. Fooling older clients, by using
protocol elements in a way, that clearly contradicts the specification
(and that's what we are talking about), must not be done.

Werner