Re: Do server store arbitrary content

Cullen Jennings wrote:

> I have a questions for the WG. Can servers, within policy constraints, be
> expected to store arbitrary data. What I mean be the policy constraints is
> clearly a server might reject a request because it was too large, or it
> decided the file had a virus and it would not store it. But in general, can
> a client expect a WebDAV serve to be able to store say a HTML file?

In general, no it can't. There are servers that accept only particular
types of content (such as something running on top of an XML database).

Would it be useful to allow clients to discover support for these kinds
of things upfront? Sure, that's exactly I'd be happy to define a profile
and give it a compliance class name for use in the DAV header (for example).

Best regards, Julian