Re: Appropriate partial success codes (was Re: Some questions about WebDAV)

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> This thread from a couple months ago brought up something probably worth
> clarifying in RFC2518bis.  In fact we could usefully constrain servers
> generally in what status codes MAY or MUST NOT be used inside
> Multi-Status.  I wrote up a strawman draft section for this so we could
> discuss the specifics:
>
>    The following status codes MUST NOT be used in Multi-Status
>    206 Partial Content, 300 Multiple Choices?, 305 Use Proxy, 400 Bad
>    Request, 405 Method Not Allowed, 406 Not Acceptable, 407 Proxy
>    Authentication Required, 411 Length Required, 412 Precondition
>    Failed, 413 Request Entity Too Large, 414 Request-URI Too Long, 415
>    Unsupported Media Type, 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable, 417
>    Expectation Failed, 501 Not Implemented and 505 HTTP Version Not
>    Supported.
>
>    The following status codes MAY be used in Multi-Status responses: 200
>    OK, 201 Created, 301 Moved Permanently, 302 Found, 303 See Other, 307
>    Temporary Redirect, 401 Unauthorized, 403 Forbidden, 404 Not Found
>    and 410 Gone.
>
>    The following status codes MAY be used in Multi-Status responses,
>    although the meaning might be unclear based only on this
>    specification.  Thus, specifications extending WebDAV MAY make use of
>    these status codes in Multi-Status responses but regular WebDAV
>    clients would reasonably be expected to be confused by these: 202
>    Accepted, 203 Non-Authoritative Information, 204 No Content, 304 Not
>    Modified, 402 Payment Required, 409 Conflict, 408 Request Timeout,
>    500 Internal Server Error, 502 Bad Gateway, 503 Service Unavailable
>    and 504 Gateway Timeout.
>
> Comments?

Yes.

1) What exactly is the issue this is supposed to solve?

2) How did you come up with these lists? How do they help a client that
needs to handle unknown status codes anyway (based on the first digit)?
For instance, why can 300 not appear in a multistatus?

Best regards, Julian