Re: Support for non-DAV collections

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 09:40:35 -0700, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>> It depends on whether we're going for Draft Standard or not -- and it
>> was  my understanding that Ted is keeping the WG open so we can bring
>> WebDAV to  Draft Standard.  To go to Draft Standard, we need to take a
>> Proposed  Standard and remove the options that aren't implemented,
>> interoperable and  tested 2x2.
>
> Yes. Every server that supports collections as WebDAV compliant
> resources already supports this feature. And every client that issues a
> PROPFIND without using other WebDAV methods already uses it. I'm not
> sure what kind of additional test you're looking for.

That's not how I read it.  I understood that paragraph as saying that a
server could call something a collection (using the resourcetype property)
but have it be non-WebDAV-compliant resources.  In fact "not be WebDAV
compliant" is in the first sentence.  So that's why I asked if anybody had
implemented non-WebDAV-compliant resources that still had the
DAV:collection element in the DAV:resourcetype property.  I can imagine
how one might use this -- for example, it might show up in its parent as a
collection yet not itself support direct PROPFIND requests -- but I am
unaware of any implementations.

>> Another option that isn't broadly implemented, if at all, is the
>> support  for locks that aren't write locks or aren't exclusive locks
>> (since only  exclusive write locks are fully defined).  Are there any
>> implementations  at all that do locks that aren't write locks?  Didn't
>> Adobe or somebody  implement shared locks?
>
> Me confused.
>
> The only type of locks defined in RFC2518 are write locks. Write locks
> can be shared or exclusive, and there are both servers implementing this
> and clients using it. Looking at
> <http://www.webdav.org/wg/rfcdev/issues.htm>, issue #96, the WG has
> discussed this over three years ago and concluced that they are indeed
> implemented.

I also figured that shared locks were implemented already although I'm not
sure they satisfy the 2x2 test requirement.  But what about non-write
locks?  Has anybody implemented locks that aren't write locks and don't
advertise themselves as such?

The way this impacts the document is that sections 6 and 7 could be merged
if there are effectively only write locks.  Section 6 discusses locks,
section 7 discusses specifically write locks.

Lisa