Summary of "working group meeting", was: Proposal for WebDAV WG meeting agenda for 62nd IETF - Minneapolis, MN, USA

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> Yes, we always get a Jabber scribe and that scribe (or a helper) will
> tell the room when people in the Jabber chat have important stuff to
> say.  It *is* difficult, however.  (It's certainly not the easiest way
> to overcome differences and resolve difficult problems.  For that, I
> highly recommend some face to face time when possible.)

OK,

almost a week has passed since the meeting, and no minutes have been
posted (will there be any????).  The Jabber log is available from
<http://www.xmpp.org/ietf-logs/webdav@ietf.xmpp.org/2005-03-09.html> but
that's not a replacement.

I listened to the audio cast (archived at
<http://limestone.uoregon.edu/ftp/pub/videolab/video/ietf62/ietf62-ch6-wed-am.mp3>,
discussion starts at around 22min), and here's *my* summary:

- Only few people attended (13 physically, a few on the text chat) - I
don't find that surprising at all, given the fact that it wasn't
announced in time, and no agenda was posted. In particular, with the
exception of Lisa Dusseault, none of the authors of the current working
group documents were present.

- The meeting ended after less than 20 minutes (instead of the 2,5 hours
that were scheduled) and basically no technical questions were
discussed. Considering the amount of time and money one would have spent
in order to physically attend the meeting, I'll just note that I'm happy
that I stayed at home.

At this point, I think it's up to the working group chairs to state how
they want to continue with this WG (or, if they don't indend to, that as
well). What should be obvious is that we need to change a lot of things
if we want to fulfill what's been outlined in the charter.

Note that we don't need a WG to do useful work; but having a WG that is
incapable of making any decisions (or shipping documents that are ready)
means that the active contributors are basically wasting their time
fighting process barriers instead if doing meaningful technical work.

Best regards and feedback appreciated,