Re: Question about DAV:getlastmodified property

Heiko.Weber@softwareag.com wrote:
> Hello everyone,

Hallo!

> I have a question about the value of the DAV:getlastmodified property.
>
> If I have a WebDAV server which uses an underlying file system, then the
> values of that property are pretty much given by that system. If however
> I have a WebDAV server which implements the resources itself, is there
> some recommendation what the DAV:getlastmodified should reflect?
>
> Changes to the contents of a resource obviously will affect the
> modification date, but which properties do also do that? A rename on
> Linux for example will not change the modification date. Should a

Because that doesn't really change the state of the file, but the one of
it's parent collection (which will have an updated date)...

> PROPPATCH on DAV:displayname also not change the modification date of a
> resource? What about acquiring a LOCK or setting ACLs on a resource? Has
> anybody created a list of properties which should lead to an update of
> the modification date, if they are changed? Should changes to dead
> properties always lead to a change in the modification date?
>
> regards,
>    Heiko Weber

In general, the only thing clients can rely on is that *if*
getlastmodified is present, it will change anytime the GETtable content
changes (within timer resolution...). So on the other hand, servers have
a lot of implementation freedom, as long as they don't break that contract.

Best regards, Julian