Re: [Fwd: draft-reschke-http-addmember-00]

I believe the problem arises when you are trying to apply the
addmember function to a resource that already handles POST as meaning
"do the operation specifies in the body of the POST".
To use POST to perform an addmember to that resource, you would
need to have some special encoding of the addmember function in
the body of the POST.  But this special encoding only works on
resources that support that particular encoding for POST calls.
So that would mean that for a client to use POST to perform addmember,
it would need to know whether or not a resource already interprets
POST in a certain way, and then would need to know the encoding in
the body that would be understood by that resource as meaning "addmember".

I may be missing something obvious here (and if so, I'm counting on
Roy pointing it out :-), but if not, it seems that POST cannot be
defined to perform any particular operation, since it already is
being used by some resources to mean "perform the operation specified
in the body".