Re: Comments on bind-08

Jim Whitehead wrote:
>>That depends on why the new binding couldn't be created....?
>

> Say, for the sake of argument, that there is a disk full condition, such
> that the database holding bindings could delete a binding, but couldn't
> create the new binding. In this internal server error condition, what status
> code/element would be returned?

OK.

I think the answer would be: none specific. The status would be just
506. There are many potential error conditions for which BIND doesn't
define specific names. As a matter of fact, I'd say it's not possible to
enumerate them all.

>>Could you be more specific about which case you think would
>>need to be clarified? Is this about the specific marshalling
>>of REBIND, or about locking semantics in face of multiple bindings?
>

> It's about the problems clients have with correctly marshalling needed
> information into the If header.

OK, just to clarify: you'd like to see an example for lock tokens being
submitted in a non-trivial namespace operation such as MOVE/REBIND
between locked collections? I'm not strongly opposed to that; I just
like to understand the motivation (which in this case would be: we don't
have an example like that in RFC2518, so this may be an action item for
RFC2518bis as well).

>>It's way "everybody" does it (WebDAV lock tokens, WebDAV
>>ordering, Atom IDs, XML namespaces). Also, UUIDs may not
>>always be the best identifier available. For instance, for
>>lock tokens a server may be using a single UUID + a counter
>>(as allowed in the opaquelockoken syntax) -- why shouldn't it
>>do the same for resource IDs?
>

> OK, I'll let this one go.

Thanks :-)