Re: Re (2): Status of RFC2518Bis

On Apr 6, 2004, at 1:58 PM, edgar@edgarschwarz.de wrote:
> Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> schrieb:
>> Locking has been optional in RFC2518, so there shouldn't be any
>> problem
>> whatsoever having a RFC2518bis-minus-locking going to draft. In fact
>> it'll be easier because locking is the area that needs most attention.
>>
>> That being said, what *is* your position regarding separating locking
>> into a separate document?
> I wonder at the moment what we win by locking ?
> Roughly speaking it's for avoiding collaborative workers to damage
> other peoples
> work.
> But it seems defining and implementing locks successfully is very
> difficult.
> OTOH there is DeltaV which also is a means (Albeit more complex, but
> servers and
> clients are coming) to avoid collaborative conflicts.
> So who needs locking ? Me definitely not.
> I would be happy to implement DeltaV and the underlying RFC2518 stuff
> without having
> to implement locks.
> So doing a RFC2518bis-minus-locking would be fine with me.
> And whoever wants locks because he doesn't like DeltaV can work on a
> lock spec.
> This also would help BIND, which wouldn't need to say anything about
> locks
> anymore.
> Locking has been a pain in the ass for years. So let's get rid of it
> in RFC2518bis !
> This really could help us to make progress because many disagreements
> will
> disappear.
> Just my 2 cent without giving it a lot of thought.
>
> Cheers, Edgar

Who needs locking? Apple's Mac OS X WebDAV file system client needs it.
Whenever a file (a non-collection resource on the WebDAV server) is
opened with write access, the WebDAV file system obtains a lock. The
lock is held until the file is closed. If a WebDAV server does not
support locks (i.e., it is not class 2 compliant), the WebDAV file
system mounts it read-only.

- Jim