Re: Re (2): Status of RFC2518Bis

Am 06.04.2004 um 22:58 schrieb edgar@edgarschwarz.de:
> Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> schrieb:
>> Locking has been optional in RFC2518, so there shouldn't be any
>> problem
>> whatsoever having a RFC2518bis-minus-locking going to draft. In fact
>> it'll be easier because locking is the area that needs most attention.
>>
>> That being said, what *is* your position regarding separating locking
>> into a separate document?
> I wonder at the moment what we win by locking ?

Well, it's certainly a much needed feature for editing in-place. Almost
all servers
implement it, not the least because MS-Office clients use it.

Although DeltaV has much to offer in this area, there is currently a
lack of
deltav-aware clients for general editing purposes. So, locking in WebDAV
will keep its usefullness.

As to the difficulty of implementation: the obstacles are there for new
implementors as the specification in RFC 2518 is weak. So most issues
are discovered and fixed during interop(s). There is a general consensus
among implementors how to handle them on the server side. It's
documenting this consensus that's lacking.