RE: COPY and bindings II

On behalf of Geoff Clemm:

Peter:  This keeps bouncing when I try to send it to the
w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org mailing list ... could you try posting it for me?

Thanks,
Geoff

----- Forwarded by Geoffrey M Clemm/Lexington/IBM on 08/21/2003 04:15 PM
-----

Geoffrey M Clemm/Lexington/IBM
08/20/2003 06:08 PM

"Nevermann, Dr., Peter" <Peter.Nevermann@softwareag.com>
cc
"'w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>,
w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org
Subject
Re: COPY and bindings II

Yes, we need language to cover the case Peter describes.  I suggest we
add the sentence:

If because of multiple bindings to a resource, more than one source
resource updates a single destination resource, the order of the
updates is server defined.

Also, I notices that the current description of COPY does not fully cover
the case where the COPY creates a new copy of a resource when there were
multiple bindings to that resource in the source of the copy.  To remedy
this omission, I propose that we replace the final paragraph of section
2.3
of the Binding protocol with:

If a COPY request would cause a new resource to be created
as a copy of an existing resource, and that COPY request
has already created a copy of that existing resource,
the COPY request instead creates another binding to the
previous copy, instead of creating a new resource.