RE: Move and Delete (was: bind draft issues)

   From: Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@gmx.de]

   > From:  Clemm, Geoff
   >
   > Just for interests sake, how many examples are there of
   > repositories that do support multiple bindings to a collection
   > but cannot support atomic DELETE/MOVE?

   The Unix file system?

I am familiar with two kinds of Unix file systems wrt this issue.

The first are ones that allow you (with suitable privileges) to use
link() to create a second link (a "binding") to a directory, and that
also allow you (with suitable privileges) to use unlink() to
(atomically) remove a link (a "binding") to a directory.

The second are ones that do not allow you to use link() to create
a link to a directory, and also do not allow you to use unlink()
to remove a link to a directory (you have to use rmdir()).

In either case, it is not an instance of a repository that "supports
multiple bindings to a collection but cannot support atomic
DELETE/MOVE".

So to rephrase the question to target unix file systems, how many
examples are there of unix file systems that allow you to use link()
to create a second link to a directory, but do not allow you to use
unlink() to remove a link to a directory?  (I'm not saying there
aren't any ... just that I'm not familiar with them).

Julian: Just for interests sake, or you using link/unlink to
create bindings in your Unix file system, or something else?