Re: BIND vs. non-movable resources in RFC3253

Clemm, Geoff wrote:

> [...] how does requiring that cyclic relationships be modeled
> by properties instead of collection membership solve
> anything, other than pushing the burden of cycle detection
> onto the client instead of the server?

Recursive operations such as a depth infinity MOVE/COPY/PROPFIND will
have problems if there is a cycle. I see two possible alternatives to
address this problem:
a) model cyclic relationships as properties or
b) disallow following links during recursive operations in the same way
that a filesystem does.

> [...] And even if one believes that modeling cyclic relationships
> should be done with properties, in a versioned collection
> context, there is no way to avoid the cyclic binding problem.  [...]
I have no problem with the creation of cyclic bindings. My primary
concern is that the server should not be required to detect the
existence of a cycle. Since there is no way to avoid the creation of
cyclic bindings in a versioned collection context, option (a) won't buy
us anything, so option (b) seems to be the only alternative. Is it
reasonable to specify that recursive operations treat bindings
differently than other resources?

Elias