RE: BIND vs. non-movable resources in RFC3253

The benefit that I want us to provide is giving the
client the ability to store away a URL in a text file (or
in some email) with the confidence that this URL will continue
to work, short of the complete destruction/disappearance of
the resource.  If another client is allowed to remap this
resource to a different URL, the original URL no longer
provides this service.

It's very analagous to making a version immutable.  It would
be simpler (and more "flexible") to allow any client to change
the content of a version, and just depend on "convention" to
leave the version content alone.  But then a client can't count
on this being true, and has to figure out some way to workaround
the lack of enforced semantics.  (This is just an analogy, so
if it doesn't work for you, please just ignore it, rather than
try to prove it "wrong" :-).

BTW, the term "stable" is used in section 1 of RFC3253, to
describe this desireale characteristic of a version URL.