RE: Interop issue: how can clients force authentication?

A couple of comments:

- Many servers will not be able to perform "what if" calculations,
or will only be able to perform them on a limited set of (probably
less interesting) methods.

- Even if the server comes back and says "yes, you could do that",
by the time you get around to trying it, it may fail because the
state on the server has changed, so a client needs to be prepared
to handle the "not authorized" response in the middle of a stream
of requests anyway.

- And assuming the preceding reasons haven't convinced you that this
isn't worth doing (:-), I'd suggest the alternative proposal, which
says that a server that wants to provide this capability does two
things:

 - Do authentication checks before "If" header checks
 - Correctly support the "If" header (in particular, support "Not")

Then a client just submits the sequence of requests it wants the
server to pre-authenticate, but includes with each request the header:
 If: ("A" Not "A")
Then if you get an authentication error, you know you are not
authenticated, but if you get a precondition-failed error, you
know you are authenticated.