RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-rfc2518bis-02.txt

I replied in private mail, but again, here's the relevant standards on
this issue:

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt:
"The Internet-Drafts directories are available to provide authors with
the ability to distribute and solicit comments on documents they may
eventually submit to the IESG for publication as an RFC."

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt;
" During the development of a specification, draft versions of the
   document are made available for informal review and comment by
   placing them in the IETF's "Internet-Drafts" directory, which is
   replicated on a number of Internet hosts.  This makes an evolving
   working document readily available to a wide audience, facilitating
   the process of review and revision."

I won't take a stand on whether it was wrong of the ACL editors to
circulate drafts in such a manner that you had to be a mailing list
member in order to know there was new text to look at.  It's a grey
area, because when multiple authors are working on a new document, it's
important to be able to share it.

I firmly believe that it is correct for a draft to go to the IETF
Internet-Draft repository when it is circulated to the entire WG mailing
list.  I would be happy to have Patrick, Ned or Harald correct me on
this.

Lisa