RE: extending the DAV: HTTP header, was: Issues from Interop/Inte rim WG Meeting

I'm sorry Geoff, I tried to be careful in my wording exactly because of
these issues, of which I am in fact very sensitive.  Let clarify and fix
the misquote.

I said "I report this to the list" (that the WG had consensus).  I did
not say "report decisions to the list".  It is appropriate to convey WG
meeting consensus to the mailing list.  This was an official open WG
meeting and therefore taking consensus of the meeting attendees was an
appropriate thing to do.

I also specifically said in the paragraph you quote that the mailing
list could "overturn" this consensus.  The mailing list can do this with
any WG consensus, just as it can also confirm, or fail to overturn.

Consensus was achieved at the WG meeting on various recommendations and
proposals to make to the list.  Nobody used the words "decisions".
Nobody said anything was final.

Mailing list participation and review is crucial to the IETF process.
However, if a WG is not allowed to determine consensus in person, at
official WG meetings, and report recommendations to the list, then the
WG loses an important tool for making progress.

Lisa