From: Jason Crawford [mailto:ccjason@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 10:16 AM
To: Clemm, Geoff
Cc: WebDAV
Subject: RE: Infinite depth locks and unlocking

<<
If this were added, it would be reasonable to require a client
to issue the UNLOCK against the locked URL.  The alternative is to allow
the UNLOCK to be applied to any URL that identifies a resource that is
affected by the lock.  I could live with that, if the working group prefers
it, but I prefer the "must unlock the locked URL" approach.

I'd even be comfortable with the approach that you don't even have to say
where the lock is.  The lock is supposed to be globally unique.  And if the
client wants to verify that it understands where the lock is, it could use
an IF header.  (Actually right now the IF header is used for UNLOCK, but
changing that is on the issues list.)   Of course if we feel the *server*
*always* needs to verify the client's knowledge of the lock location, I can
live with that too.

J.