RE: rfc2818 issue: UNLOCK_BY_NON_LOCK_OWNER

Well, since I was the one who brought it up, here are my thoughts.

It seems not entirely unreasonable to have a system where the resource owner
can remove locks on their resource, even locks that the resource owner did
not create.  With ACLs in the mix, this makes even more sense.  After all,
if somebody has the ability to grant permission whether or not somebody can
lock a resource, they might as well have the ability to remove locks.

To the client that had their lock disappear, it's just like the lock
expired.  They can try to get another.  There may be changes they may have
to merge.

Now it doesn't have to be the resource owner that can do this.  It can be
entirely up to the implementation or the lock policy.  This is made nicely
possible in WebDAV because it makes the locktoken available for anybody to
use to try to UNLOCK the resource.  It just leaves it up to the
implementation whether or not to allow this to succeed.

lisa

.html#351
in various threads mentioning lock discovery in their subject.

I'll step back and let someone else kick of the discussion on this.

J.

Phone: 914-784-7569,   ccjason@us.ibm.com