Re: Qualities of URLs and resources

At 09:17 PM 2/24/00 -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> If [a] concept is referenceable, it is a resource.  If you ask
>me for the URL that I was using to represent my home page in 1994,
>you are referring to a URI as a resource in itself.  All properties
>are resources -- DAV just defines a different way of accessing them
>than the old HTTP interface.

Hmm, do you mean referenceable by humans in daily discourse, or
referenceable via the HTTP protocol?

Humans are able to talk about many things, including "the current President
of the United States", "the first human to walk on Mars", and "unicorns",
but none of these "references" are references that HTTP could use.  I don't
think any of them count as URLs, and thus none of those referenda are
resources, in the technical sense of HTTP.

I apologize for my poor understanding of your ideas, since I have so often
benefited from them in the past