Re: MKCOL entity request body

jamsden@us.ibm.com wrote:
> suggest we add a BATCH command to HTTP/WebDAV that has an entity request body
> consisting of an XML document where each element is a WebDAV method, its
> attributes are the method headers, and its content is the entity request body if
> any. The mutlistatus response could be extended to include and entity request
> body element for each returned status if any. This would be generally useful,
> would reduce communication round trips, and would eliminated the need to specify
> anything special for MKCOL (which hasn't been specified yet). It would also
> provide a simple transaction mechanism if the BATCH method was atomic. Vendors
> could advertise canned BATCH commands that provide higher-level functions in
> much the same way we are experimenting with user-defined property sets. Any
> thoughts?

I believe this won't buy you anything over HTTP/1.1 connection
pipelining. You'll still transfer just as much information, and you'll
still use a single TCP connection.

About the only thing that this could do would provide for the potential
for atomicity. IMO, that isn't enough of a win to compare to this
additional complexity.

Cheers,
-g

--